What is the best VPN for Kodi 17 Krypton? If you found your way to this article, you’re probably wondering, what are the best Kodi VPNs to use in 2017? Kodi, also known as XBMC, offers you one of the easiest way to stream online content such as TV shows, movies and even live sport matches straight from the internet to your device. The only thing you might need to take note of is that some of the Kodi add-ons might contain content that could be classified as ‘illegal’, or even ‘pirated”. Good examples are Exodus, Sportsdevil, Alluc, and SALTS. Bearing this in mind, you’re better off connecting to a VPN server before using your Kodi. This will allow you to stream movies & TV shows anonymously, and avoid worrying about your ISP eavesdropping on your online activities. Let’s take a look at some of the best Kodi VPN’s in 2017.
Best 5 Kodi VPN Service Providers – 2017
We’ve taken the liberty to test out a good number of VPN providers in the market and gotten to see how well they work with Kodi. Below, you’ll find a top 5 list of the providers whose VPN service performed best.
|Provider||Price (Annual Plan)||Free|
|Refund Option (Days)||# of Countries||Immediate Support (chat, toll-free)||Own DNS Servers||Website|
|$4.99 per month||No||30||200||Yes||No||Visit site|
As you can see, IPVanish tops our list, and it does so for very good reasons. I’ll mention them later on, but let’s first have a look at whether or not you would really need to use VPN with Kodi.
IPVanish – Best Kodi VPN 2017 – Review
Here are some of the benefits to expect with IPVanish as your chosen VPN provider:
- Quality VPN Servers: A good number of high speed VPN servers well scattered around the world means that you’re not likely to experience any buffering issues with IPVanish as your chosen VPN provider. Their locations also ensure that users enjoy a smaller risk of facing Internet speed drops.
- Zero Logs Policy: As a customer looking for complete online security, you don’t expect your VPN provider to keep logs of the websites you visit, movies you watch or files you download. IPVanish maintains a strict No logs policy that guarantees all their users of their anonymity online.
- Ready for Kodi: Unfortunately, there are some servers that are not quite ready for use with Kodi, and this leaves unaware customers frustrated when they figure out that their VPN service doesn’t integrate well with the streaming service. Look for a provider that explicitly mentions their compatibility with Kodi to avoid getting duped.
- Refund policy: The guys at IPVanish understand that most people would want to test out a service before parting with their money, and that’s why they offer their potential customers a 7 day refund guarantee to try it out, and see how they like the service.
ExpressVPN – Best Kodi VPN 2017 – Review
- AES-256 bit encryption
- Based in the BVI
- Doesn’t keep any logs
- P2P is allowed
- Servers in 78 countries
- Unlimited speed, bandwidth and server switching
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- High price ($8.32 per month)
- No free trial
Arguably one of the most popular VPN provision services in the market, our list would not be complete if we missed out on including ExpressVPN. Their 24/7 live customer support makes sure you don’t stay stuck with any problem that they can solve, while their 30-day money-back guarantee allows you to test out their product for a full month, and get refunded if you don’t like it.
Nord VPN – Best Kodi VPN 2017 – Review
- Based in Panama
- Double data encryption
- Kill Switch
- Own DNS servers
- 6 simultaneous connections
- P2P is available
- Bitcoin payments
- 550+ servers in 50+ countries
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Double data encryption can slow down your speed
Top marks go to NordVPN for coming up with an interface that’s so easy to use regardless of whether your device is an Android, iPad, iPhone, PC or Mac. The setup process literally takes minutes, and you’ll be able to connect to any VPN server you would like. If you’d still prefer to test things out yourself, NordVPN offers a 30-day refund period that allows for a refund if you’re not impressed by their service.
VyprVPN – Best Kodi VPN 2017 – Review
VyprVPN continues to gain prominence because of it’s “Chameleon” stealth system and it’s ability to overcome China’s Great Firewall censorship system. It’ll work great if you’re a user living in Mainland China, but the only issue is that they don’t allow torrenting via their VPN servers. Otherwise, they’re definitely a safe bet.
- Chameleon stealth system
- VPN servers in 36 countries
- Very fast VPN servers
- No torrents
StrongVPN – Best Kodi VPN 2017 – Review
Users based in geo-blocked countries will appreciate how StrongVPN allows them to unblock US and UK Netflix abroad for a price that lists them as one of the most affordable subscribers in the market. Here’s what you should expect:
- Low cost.
- Free Smart DNS proxy service.
- Access to American and UK Netflix overseas.
- Only a couple of servers support OpenVPN
- Some VPN servers were either too slow or didn’t work at all.
- 5-day full refund period.
Do I Really Need To Use VPN with Kodi?
A majority of people who watch movies, TV shows, and live sports via Kodi use VPN because it allows them to encrypt all of their Internet traffic by connecting to a secure remote server. This way, their actual IP address is hidden, and the sites whose content they’d like to view will only see the IP address of the VPN server they’re connected to instead. To illustrate this, let’s assume you enjoy British TV shows and so you’ve set up a BBC iPlayer addon on your Kodi. The geo-error that you’ll get when not using a VPN service pops up because the British channels are able to figure out that you’re not anywhere within Britain, and so you’d not be able to view their content.
When it comes to dealing with torrent addons, whenever you download a torrent, your IP address is saved onto a torrent swarm, regardless of whether or not you’re on Kodi. This makes it very easy for copyright infringement groups, or even your ISP to track your downloads. Using VPN comes in handy since it allows you to keep your online identity hidden as well as bypass geo-restrictions.
- The first step to setting up VPN on your iPad, iPhone, Linux, Mac, PC, Android TV Box or Raspberry Pi is to install a VPN app.
- Once done, ensure that you set up a VPN connection on your router if you hope to be using Kodi on Amazon Fire TV Stick, Chromecast or Apple TV. This should be straightforward process if you’re able to follow the instructions outlined on your VPN router setup documentation.
- As a second option, you might also want to consider setting up a virtual router on your PC/Mac and share its VPN connection with all your other streaming devices.
- You’ll be able to download/stream torrents anonymously via Kodi as long as you’re connected to the VPN server.
- Anonymous access to ISP banned channels such as Afdah, Putlocker and WatchFree will also be included in your VPN package.
- Remember, VPN enables you to work around geo-blocking as well as protect your online privacy.
Conclusion on the Best 5 Kodi VPN Providers – 2017
As an individual who spends a significant amount of time on the Internet either for leisure or for work, it’s important to be aware of the need to protect yourself from online spammers and hackers who might steal your personal information. You can do this by enlisting a trusted VPN service provider, and prevent eavesdropping by certain government agencies, or even your ISP.