How legal is it to use Kodi 17.1 in the USA, UK, Canada, or Australia? There are not many sites that answer this question satisfactorily, and maybe this could be the only issue holding back people that hope to install Kodi on their Android, PC, Mac, Amazon Fire TV, Linux or any other streaming device that supports Kodi. The concern is valid, and I’ll tell you why in a moment, but to begin with, Kodi is a popular free and open-source software that was initially called XBMC, and designed for the Xbox. In itself, Kodi is a legal software that allows you to do a lot of things with it. You can stream TV shows and movies from your local network, or from the Internet using unofficial Kodi addons like Exodus or SALTS. The unofficial addons are what cause a lot of people worry and make them wonder if Kodi is legal and safe to use. With this guide, I hope to address Kodi’s legal concerns as well as how you can use Kodi safely and anonymously. Read on to find out if Kodi is legal or not.
Is Kodi Legal?
As I’m sure you know, it’s quite fine to download, install and play video files on your Windows Media Player or VLC. As long as you own those files that is. The legal concerns rise if somebody attempts to either download or stream pirated material. While Kodi developers didn’t create the app for these purposes, many third-party addon developers came up with unofficial addons that allow users to easily watch live TV, movies, and TV shows from illegal sources on Kodi. That’s where you might find yourself caught up in legal issues. Unless you hide your streaming activities using VPN, your ISP and copyright trolls will be able to eavesdrop on what you’re doing online. This is why it’s crucial to use VPN with Kodil, especially if you live in a country with strict copyright laws. This includes USA, UK, Canada, Australia, India, France, and Germany.
Staying Safe On Kodi
Staying safe on Kodi is all about adhering to best practices. Try and make sure that the sites that you use to read on how to set up Kodi and install addons on it are credible and can be trusted. As you might notice, most Kodi-related articles strongly advocate for using VPN to add an extra layer of security and privacy to your browsing and streaming activities so as to protect you data and identity.
A connection to a VPN server ensures that all your Internet traffic is encrypted, meaning your ISP won’t be able to detect what files and movies you’re streaming and downloading. The same applies to copyright trolls. You also get covered from Man-in-the-middle attacks.
If you’re looking to work with a credible VPN provider, then IPVanish should be on your list since they are the the most-used VPN with Kodi. Aside from them, these VPN providers will also ensure that your online activity is secure and hidden from any unwelcome eavesdropping.
|Provider||Price (Annual Plan)||Free|
|Refund Option (Days)||# of Countries||Immediate Support (chat, toll-free)||Own DNS Servers||Website|
|$4.99 per month||No||30||200||Yes||No||Visit site|
Is Kodi Safe?
Kodi by itself is a safe platform to use, as long as you know what you’re doing. There are certain risks that you may be exposed to as a user, and some of them include:
- MITM attacks: If a hacker is able to access the connection between you and your Kodi, your personal information could be at risk. This would be what we call a Man-in-the-middle attack, and they form one of the biggest online threats you can find yourself in.
- Hackers and Spammers: These are malicious people in the Internet who try to steal your private information and use it to their advantage; like a hacker who steals your credit card details when you make an online payment.
- ISP Monitoring: If you’re not using VPN, your ISP is easily able to see what you’re up to online. This includes the sites you visit, the files you download and the movies you stream. Because of this, users of unofficial Kodi addons like Exodus could get warning letters from their ISP.
- Copyright Trolls: The Kodi addons that allow you to stream torrent files on your Kodi tend to add your IP address to the file’s torrent swarm whenever you download one. They are capable of using your IP Address to track your online activity.
- Unnoficial Kodi Addons: Unofficial Kodi addons are the best because they allow you to watch the latest hollywood blockbuster, top TV series as well as live sports broadcasts. The problem is, you could be left exposed after you install these addons from an unofficial repository.
- Kodi Pre-Loaded Android TV Boxes and Amazon Fire TV Sticks: The reason why these Kodi loaded boxes can be unsafe is well explained on the official Kodi blog. Some of these boxes come with broken add-ons that might not work, or even leave you at risk to numerous security exploits. That’s why selling some of these boxes is now even considered illegal in EU.
Is Kodi Legal and Safe to Use? – Conclusion
Using Kodi by itself can be an enjoyable streaming experience, but it only gets better once you enlist a VPN provider to hide your IP address and allow you to use geo-restricted Kodi add-ons. As you might find out, installing VPN is really the best way to stay safe when using Kodi. Try it out and leave a comment in the section below about how your setup went; we’ll be glad to respond.